Finer scheduling control: the ability to select individual days instead of just "weekdays".

Why is it useful, who would benefit from it, how should it work?

  • Gravatar Kevin Knowles
  • Mar 7 2015
  • Shipped
  • Apr 15, 2015

    Admin Response

    This is a big project which we are not taking on right now. However, we are adding a 'Weekday + Saturday' option to the scheduler which will be released soon. This will get the current scheduler from 85% to 90% suitability. We will address the remaining 10% another time.

  • Attach files
  • Kevin Knowles commented
    March 7, 2015 16:19

    If a facility runs 24/5 instead of 24/7, and for those of us in the Central Time Zone, where the next days' records come out around 6PM local time, this means that our third shift (which officially begins at midnight of the NEXT day) gets left out and we have to manually add/remove records for numerous monitoring programs.

  • Amusik commented
    March 9, 2015 20:23

    I think the scheduler is one of the most important core components in the whole system and it could be somehow upgraded. However, it would have to be done in a way that preserves the light-touch approach to simple scheduling but also gives you more advanced controls if you need them.

    Perhaps you could still have the old schedule and an advanced one that would be built into a matrix like configuration.

      Mon Tue Wed
    1 AM - - Yes
    2 AM Yes Yes Yes
    3 AM - - -
  • Amusik commented
    March 9, 2015 20:25

    In the perfect universe, the advanced scheduler could look up from the system summary also the operation / shift cycle times and only allow you / show you times that are within the shift cycles.

  • Richard Couts commented
    July 24, 2015 12:07

    A finer scheduling control would benefit my company greatly by giving us more flexibility to schedule different days from week to week which I think is possible right now but that would mean changing the schedule every week, it can't be done for the entire month or longer.   

  • Amusik commented
    October 6, 2015 14:10

    In fact there could be a new utility called "Scheduler". The logical home for that entity would be in a module called "Models" where you would also keep Ratings, RA and Decision Tree models, etc.

    We would then have "System Schedulers" and "My Schedulers"

    System schedulers

    • Monday
    • Only Weekdays
    • Weekends
    • Weekdays + Saturday

    My schedulers

    You would have full control over which days and during which hours the scheduler should fire. 

    Benefits of creating scheduler as a utility

    • You will be able to use the same settings in a number of programs and change the scheduling in only one place to affect all the programs.
    • By smartly crafting the system schedulers, you could retain 100% backwards compatibility with the current program settings
    • From a users point of view, they would still have those easy "System Schedulers" available but also the ability for perfect control
  • Gravatar
  • Gravatar
  • Gravatar
  • Gravatar